Since the last episode of this ongoing saga, I found the carb that was described as "AS NEW" in the ad (it came with the motor) was far from it.
I had ongoing running issues after sorting the transmission and even though the carb looked new from the outside I thought I'd open it up to check.
I found a load of gunk in the bowls, blocked jets and a float with a hole in it. So I replaced the dodgy bits and re-installed.
I also made a dash panel and fitted an engine temp and oil pressure gauge. The dash panel I made out of an old aluminium mudflap that came with the running boards that were originally fitted to the van. The van does come with these gauges but I feel I can trust these new ones more. I also replaced the trans kickdown cable and removed and oiled the throttle cable. I also replaced a few cable mounting brackets and removed the cruise control cable as I am junking the whole cruise control system. I also fitted a Filter King combined fuel filter/regulator and mounted it above the wheel arch using another one of the alluminium mudflaps( sometimes it pays to be a hoarder).
I did some tuning and test drove it and it ran preety well (still needs more tuning) but when I returned I found it was leaking oil from around the torque convertor starter motor area. I pulled the T/C cover and ran the engine again and found to my relief it was coming from the rear sump seal .
If it had been a crankshaft seal I think I would have thrown in the towel!!!
So I took off the sump replaced the gasket and end seals and put it back on. Tonight I refill with oil and bring it up to the local garage to have it tuned on their emmisions testing machine.
Wish me luck I'm sure as hell due some at this stage.