Boxdin
Vannin.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
My dodge van project.
by cjhardcore
1 second ago
New to site- 89 vandura
by lukester
Today at 03:05 PM
New member from Knoxville, TN
by lukester
Today at 02:47 PM
Jokes Thread
by DrBob
Today at 01:15 PM
What Did You do To your Van Today?
by DrBob
Today at 01:12 PM
newbie from Tennessee
by Captain_E
Today at 08:12 AM
Meltdown After The Thaw 2--Frat Party April 25-27 2014-Gratz, PA
by Captain_E
Today at 08:09 AM
Can I swap dash from 79 to 94 Chev G20 ?
by Munz
Today at 01:42 AM
whats in a name
by OldReadingGus62
Today at 01:42 AM
My '72 Corvette Dodge Van
by DodgeVanCorvette
Today at 12:40 AM
Featured Links

Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#479858 - July 10th 2011 2:17 am Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: piscespokerbrat]
VanVida_Israel Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: KS
Zero dollars,drive it as is but on the other hand it would be nice saving it, but like Fester said,that is up to you and your checkbook..

AdSense
#479866 - July 10th 2011 8:06 am Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: piscespokerbrat]
starwars Offline
Blendor Of Fine Schnapps

Loc: norfolk va
nice find good luck with it

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. Groucho Marx

#479877 - July 10th 2011 9:36 am Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: starwars]
Galaxy Offline
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey
Congratulations on the van!
Now to the rust issues, If I was you I would start putting a list together. Go around the van and write done every panel that would need to be replaced. Then do some research and see what it would cost in parts. Then double that price, and add it on for the labor. After doing this you may find it better to look for a cleaner van with no (or a blown) motor.
Anyway, good luck with your project!

#479907 - July 10th 2011 12:23 pm Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: Galaxy]
LostSheep Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Dixie, USA
Sorry to bust your bubble.....but......IMO, I wouldn't put any $$$$$ into this van. In fact, it may not even pass the State's Inspection. Free is good, but look at what you've got.....a "Rust Bucket". Unless you've got a need for a junk hauler or a daily "Beater", I'd hunt for a better van. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. Yeah, I know, just like assholes, everyones got one...... lol

#479909 - July 10th 2011 12:30 pm Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: LostSheep]
piscespokerbrat Offline
old hand

Loc: South Dakota
Originally Posted By: LostSheep
Sorry to bust your bubble.....but......IMO, I wouldn't put any $$$$$ into this van. In fact, it may not even pass the State's Inspection. Free is good, but look at what you've got.....a "Rust Bucket". Unless you've got a need for a junk hauler or a daily "Beater", I'd hunt for a better van. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. Yeah, I know, just like assholes, everyones got one...... lol

Thats why the post is up.. I would like opinions, suggestions, etc.. grin We don't have any inspections here. Plates are easy to do and takes about 5 minutes with a title and bill of sale and $32.

***UPDATED 12/14/11***

Shit for sale -
1987 Ford Econoline 300 six 4spd on the floor - $1,200
Impco CA100 Propane Carb (direct bolt to the slant 6 manifold) $100
1986 Extended Cab Mazda Truck - Runs, drives, smokes, rust free - $650
Leer Canopy - fits 93+ Ranger/Mazda Trucks $350
Bedliner with "Mazda" for 93+ Ranger/Mazda Trucks $100
Brand new Goodyear 235/75/15 Silent Armor tires $400

Free shit -
GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!

Any info or pics needed, PM me please!

#479912 - July 10th 2011 12:37 pm Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: draggnastro]
piscespokerbrat Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: draggnastro
Originally Posted By: piscespokerbrat
I have a "friend" that says I should strip it and crush the rest. He is also one of those people that think ANYONE who drives a van outside of work is a pederass. He likes calling vans chimo wagons *sigh*. I see tons of potential with this thing. Am I wrong?

"walter, whats a pederass?" "STFU Donny, your out of your element here" The big Lebowski is such an awesome movie! Seriously, good luck. Buy a welder

Ya my dipstick friend uses the word pedophile.. I like the word pederass from obviously Lebowski grin I still think its a very wrong assumption though.. There IS a difference between pervert and pederass right?? LMAO

***UPDATED 12/14/11***

Shit for sale -

Free shit -
GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!

#480513 - July 14th 2011 1:13 am Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: piscespokerbrat]
piscespokerbrat Offline
old hand

This is some pics I took yesterday after I pulled the panels off. As you can see it had R-11 insulation in the walls. I found no other surprises in the body. I found the floor pans around the drivers area and pass area for $105. I think I am going to buy a welder on credit and order those up. I think this would be a fun project! Plus that, and well, I cant shell out $500 for a decent body frown

***UPDATED 12/14/11***

Shit for sale -

Free shit -
GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!

#480515 - July 14th 2011 1:43 am Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: piscespokerbrat]
Reed Offline
carpal tunnel

Loc: Fircrest, WA
(1) The word is "pederast" (I know this because I am a criminal defense attorney and I have had occasion to interact with pederasts). DO a web search to find out the current and historical meanings of this word.

(2) The Big Lebowski IS an awesome movie.

(3) About the van. That van looks like it was ordered as a work van and USED as a work van. No options, bare bones, manual everything. The upside is you have a killer drive train for a Ford van. A fuel injected 300 with a four speed manual transmission is great for dependability and economy. With the right upgrades the 300 motor (especially with fuel injection) can also be a good performer. The downside is all the rust on the body. Things like the rusted out doors, front bumper, and fenders can all be unbolted and replaced with clean ones from the boneyard. The outer body rust actually isn't too bad. What really concerns me are the rusted out floors, especially at the body attachment points.

If you want to treat this van as a learning experience, then I would suggest to tackle the non-structurally-critcal areas first before you repair the body mounting points. Body panels should be available fairly cheaply to repair all areas. Get a decent wire feed and gas shielded welder to do the repairing and find a friend or relative who is a good welder to teach you the ropes.

on the other hand, I see many many body seams with rust. You rust repair should include wire brushing all the body putty out of the seams and checking for rust that is currently hidden. That van appears to literally be rusting apart at the seams. I have seen worse vehicles brought back to better-than-new condition, but you should be aware that this will be a big undertaking just to get this van watertight and safe again.

You should really carefully consider your time and other resources. However, this would be a fun project and you could really make the van yours.

Check out www.millsupply.com for replacement body panels. Or, find another free or really cheap van you can cut up for repair pieces.

#480534 - July 14th 2011 10:30 am Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: piscespokerbrat]
piscespokerbrat Offline
old hand

Reed, I appreciate your kind words and sound advice. This 300 in this van just gets up and boogies. I am amazed when I drop it down in 2nd and punch it with how much oomph its got! I know all the un-boltable pieces are easy to replace. The things I have been looking for are the step wells and rust. I hate when vans rust in those area's! I *think* I am going to seek and find a round headlight setup for this beast. I like how the hood has the F O R D lettering, and the chrome outline of the grill, lights, etc..

I have welded before on an old El Camino I used to own, although the beads looked like a dyslexic monkey attempted to do it. After I have been extensively reading, I have determined the welder I used to weld my bucket seat mounts was too hot. There was too much splatter, and I welded through the floor pan a few times. I also learned that you have to tack weld one area, then go to another, then fill in after it cools down, etc until it is all filled (this I didnt do, I just recently learned, oops). All in all, the mounts were very solid.

This time around, I plan on cutting the floor pan out, then cutting it into pieces, and practicing stitching the old garbage together until it looks appropriate. I read that 70 amps is about all I need for the thinness of the sheet metal. I also know I need a weld through primer, so that way my welds won't rot out. It appears there is 8 total body mounts. After I have inspected them, I have determined there are four that are needing attention. The rest of the underside looks solid. If I cannot for some reason get a decent weld, I will have chalked it up to learning, and then I will seek out a new body. That way, I can get the experience of cutting, measuring, and welding for future reference (GD that welding class I took 16 years ago seems so vague lol .)

I am very handy it seems. I have used the net extensively to learn all sorts of things. Some of them include pex tubing for an old 5th wheel trailer I used to own, how to solder, etc.. Youtube is a great source as well as doing searches! I will charge my video camera today, and I will do an extensive video of the body both inside and underside and post it tonight or tomorrow. It might be tomorrow since I dont work then.

***UPDATED 12/14/11***

Shit for sale -

Free shit -
GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!

#480546 - July 14th 2011 12:35 pm Re: My FREE '87 Econo I drove 350 miles home (57 Pics) [Re: piscespokerbrat]
UTAH Offline
addict

Loc: Indiana (chicago)
There is alot for this van, and alot against it. I would jerry rig the body a bit to make it safer, then run the wheels off it. When the rust gets too bad, save the driveline. Factor what you will spend in time any body panels against the cost of getting a non runner with a solid body.

The big Lebowski is an awesome movie

Good score on the van.

Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  NateNCBV 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
4 registered (Waffl6, mattmccurry, HomeBrew, cjhardcore), 10 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hicks, furydan, Shado, wildreis, Waffl6
7774 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
newkirkinc1 131
HighwayStar 130
Reed 113
lukester 104
apo234 89
cjhardcore 82
frscke1 81