Boxdin
Vannin.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
newbie from Tennessee
by jules73
0 seconds ago
New member from Knoxville, TN
by jules73
1 minute 27 seconds ago
My dodge van project.
by DodgeVanCorvette
Today at 02:58 AM
Can I swap dash from 79 to 94 Chev G20 ?
by Munz
Today at 01:42 AM
whats in a name
by OldReadingGus62
Today at 01:42 AM
My '72 Corvette Dodge Van
by DodgeVanCorvette
Today at 12:40 AM
Van Jam 38 SUPER HERO Truck-in Friendship, IN April 25-27 2014
by Suzie-BGfNY-IN
Today at 12:20 AM
Need help in selecting a van club
by Suzie-BGfNY-IN
Today at 12:16 AM
New to site- 89 vandura
by Blaynekeim
Yesterday at 11:44 PM
Dream Vannin' Prospect - Input Welcome
by Ed75
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Featured Links

Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#557731 - April 23rd 2012 10:40 am Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: draggnastro]
MikeH_Vannin Offline

Loc: Florida
Here's a good place to read up a little on antenna's and co-phasing.

The Ultimate Guide To 11 Meter CB Antennas

AdSense
#557891 - April 23rd 2012 10:09 pm Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: mlarky]
HomeBrew Offline
veteran

Loc: Ohio, USA
I like my Wilson 1000.... but it make a lot of noise in a drive through.....bang bang bang bang. ;-)

#558063 - April 24th 2012 4:09 pm Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: draggnastro]
Uncle_Fester Offline
Festerus Vannimus

Loc: On Route 66 in Bethany Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: draggnastro
i have to admit i dont know CRAP about what you just said Phoenix. Ive always used a cheap cobra cb from walmart and a cheap magnet antenna for communicating while in a caravan. Im interested though in learning, so that maybe my next set up will work better than what im used to.

I understand liking the looks of dual whips and all, maybe to keep it real simple, add dual whips to your mirrors and just do not wire them, and use a mag mount on the roof when in a caraVAN and need the cb. . . . go with a quality mag mount (K-40, Wilson 1000/5000, ect) and you have your looks and performance with ease. Just a idea, and what I may very well do on Wolf-Den too.

1)The 1991 Dodge B250, J.Y.D.

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !

#558453 - April 25th 2012 8:33 pm Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: mlarky]
Stan Offline
stranger

Loc: McLean Virginia
RE co-phasing. Do realize that they will be directional.. And if you go with the single whip suggestion, don't use the cable that comes with a co-phase set. Single antennas use 50 ohm cable, while co-phased antennae use 75 ohm. You'll never get the SWR right with the wrong cable/antenna mating.
Einstein, when describing radio said "Wire telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull his tail in NY and he meows in LA. And radio works the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

#558577 - April 26th 2012 4:48 am Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: Stan]
FinallyaVanner Offline
old hand

Loc: Westchester Calif.
I like the look of two 102" whips mounted high on the side rear. To me just looks so natural. Besides I like a challenge and to get the SWR right, well lets say I will do my best to use both!

Richard

Before

After

#574221 - July 15th 2012 10:36 pm Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: mlarky]
Happy Birthday JDouglas Offline
journeyman

Loc: Charlotte, North Carolina
I mounted my CB antenna on the drivers side rear by fastening it to the spare tire top door hinge bracket. I will post a photo to show how I did this. I ran the coax between the door edge and up to the front of the van to the CB. I am using a small Uniden CB that is mounted to the engine cover.

#574222 - July 15th 2012 10:46 pm Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: mlarky]
frscke1 Offline
carpal tunnel

Loc: San Diego California
My grand kids blew out the internal by turning it on and hitting the mic without an antenna .....time for a new one...
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146 WB

#606831 - March 18th 2013 6:08 pm Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: mlarky]
keystonekid1978 Offline
old hand

Loc: Lancaster, PA, USA
Resurrecting an old thread rather than start a new one.

Getting ready to install my old Realistic 40-channel. Not the best radio, but it was my dads back in the 70s and I've had it in 5 or 6 previous vehicles over the years. Trying to decide what to do for an antenna setup. I have a magnetic mount one that works, but the ridges on the roof make it impossible to sit dead center. Maybe I just have OCD, but I hate having it sit 6" off center.

The radio itself will be mounted overhead, between the sunvisors. I am not running an overhead console yet, but I plan on building/installing one in the future. For now, I'll just attach a regular bracket to the blue carpeted segment in the middle of the front headliner (see pic below).

I should add that I am not after maximum range or performance. Wouldn't get it from a 35+ year old department-store CB anyway. Mostly it'll just get used in convoys and for the PA function, but I also want to be able to get my signal out there in case I'm stranded with no cell reception. Plus I need smokey reports!

That being said, I really don't wanna tear out all my interior panels or cut a hole in the side of my van to install an antenna, so those chrome tennis balls are out. Same for the non-ground side all mounts. Seems mirror mounts are out too, still have the stock ones and nobody makes a bracket to fit as far as I know.

I was considering putting one on the driver's side front fender, but now looking at it I don't know how I'd get past the inner fender panel to attach the plug-to-lug coax connector.

What options am I left with? I've seen those cell-phone style glass mount ones, but I'm dubious. Heard they are pretty crappy, but again, I don't need miles and miles of range. I know Hustler makes bumper mounts for the chrome balls, if I put one on the rear bumper will it smack the back of my van when I make quick stops? I have a pair of ABS louvers to put on the back and I don't want to break them (or my back windows, NOS pop-outs are hard to find!). I guess I could also use one of those adapters that lets you use your factory radio antenna as a CB. Do those suck? I have heard that they do. Does anyone know what diameter tubing the 3-way brackets will accept? I know they are designed for west-coast style mirrors, but will they attach to an aluminum roof rack? And will it ground?

Pic below shows the blue carpeted area of the headliner where I will be installing the CB. It's attached at the front to the windshield lip, and at the back to the foremost roof support. It's made of 3/8" MDF and should be sturdy enough.

#606845 - March 18th 2013 7:49 pm Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: mlarky]
CatFish Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Georgia
Picky picky picky,,, lol

Maybe a gutter mount? You may not have a lot of gutter to hang on to but that's a shot. It can be adjustable and hinged to lay down.

I like the old Realistics...I've got several 23 channels made in the late 60 early 70s....

Edited by CatFish (March 18th 2013 7:54 pm)
Edit Reason: ksfs
http://southeastvancouncil.com/

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are built for."
___________________________________________________________________________________

#606847 - March 18th 2013 7:58 pm Re: CB antenna advice or suggestions [Re: mlarky]
relaxedvanner Offline
veteran

Loc: Calgary Alberta. Canada
I have dual whips on my mirrors but only have the drivers side wired up. Is this optimal or would the passenger side work better? We had a Realistic home base CB for years in the living room, used to hear skips from all over the states in BC and we lived in a valley at the time.

1991 Dodge Ram 250
Member of Vandits VC. Calgary
Stay Weird!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NateNCBV, Ram4ever 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
1 registered (jules73), 5 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hicks, furydan, Shado, wildreis, Waffl6
7776 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
HighwayStar 130
newkirkinc1 129
Reed 112
lukester 99
apo234 88
frscke1 81
cjhardcore 80